Admittedly, I’m stubborn. I don’t like doing things the easy way. I take on too much. Worse still, I rarely cut myself slack. I realize this isn’t healthy, nor is it wise, but it’s a part of who I’m inclined to be and something I need to learn to change. Yesterday was a great day to start. [Read more...]
As I have discovered this month, sometimes the best things to come out of the kitchen happen as a result of keeping things simple. From miniaturizing banoffee pie in less than 6 steps to DIY takes on classic snacks to surprisingly simple homemade Reese’s peanut butter eggs, my March has been filled with tasty treats without a lot of hassle. In keeping with this theme, I thought I’d end the month with another holiday treat that’s quick to make, adorable to look at and (best of all!) a fun way to get your kids into the kitchen with you: Chocolate Covered Oreo Chicks for Easter!
And because the all-pictures banoffee pie post was a hit, I thought I’d also show you these chocolate covered oreo chicks in pictures. They’re just that easy to make! Read on for the recipe & instructions… [Read more...]
Well, here we are again. A week has gone by. I’m another year older. Another year wiser? Totally debatable. Still, I’ve stumbled upon some pretty awesome stuff this week, including a replacement for Google Reader.
This week, I’m in love with:
1. Keeping it natural. Particularly THIS METHOD of dying Easter eggs.
Oh, my friends. I had such things planned for us today.
To go along with the announcement of the Classic Snacks Made from Scratch giveaway winner, there was going to be chocolate, and lots of it. I was going to share a gooey, sugary sweet candy fondant recipe and an DIY Easter candy hack that would make Pinterest proud.
Sadly, none of that happened…
My name is Kelly and I am a peanut butter cup addict. It may have started when in 7th grade when I had to come up with a math lesson for class and taught my peers how to triple a batch of peanut butter squares with algebra and actual baked goods… but only half of them made it to class [whoopsie]. Really, though, I should have seen the signs earlier, like when, at age 8 I asked my dad to buy me an entire box of Reese’s cups from BJ’s or, at 6 when I shamelessly pilfered Reese’s peanut butter eggs from my sister’s Easter basket when she wasn’t looking. I
had have a problem.
Well, folks, it’s that time again. Friday is glorious for many reasons, but today is especially special for a few reasons. First and foremost, it’s my BIRTHDAY! (yay!) which means that I headed up to CT for the weekend, took the day off to do and eat whatever the heck I please and am spending a long weekend with my family and friends.
Despite being a terrible sharer, I don’t want to hoard all the fun. I’m bringing along some cupcakes AND presents for you in the form a GIVEAWAY! (woohoo!) More on that at the end of the weekly love. (You’ll want to read on. Trust me, it’s a good one!)
When I get stressed, I eat my feelings. I wish I were the type of gal who dons overpriced workout gear and goes for marathon-length runs, sprinting like a sweatless gazelle at the first hint of anxiety. Or one who reorganized their already-meticulous Pinterest-replica pantry when life even hinted that it might throw a punch or two. After nearly 28 years of being me, I can say with immense certainty: I am going to be neither of those women. I am one who finds solace in a spoon dripping with caramel sauce straight from the jar, who hugs a carton of ice cream instead of another human being, who finds carb catharsis and who stocks up on emergency cheese in all shapes and textures.
“Emergency cheese?! What’s that?” you might ask. Well, dear reader, let me explain… [Read more...]
Forgive me for falling off the bandwagon on these Friday Favorites posts. Between getting sick and an overly hectic week or so at work, I haven’t been as good as I should have about posting these!
Each Friday, I clean out my Pocket app (think of it as Pinterest for web links that lets you read them in a format similar to Google Reader) and share all the stuff I love from the week.
This week, I’m in love with…
1. THESE NAILS. All the things you love on the interwebs on your fingertips!
2. THIS ARTICLE. A shocking look at the food industry and how it got us hooked on processed foods, sugars, salts & fats. As someone with a baking blog, I think about sugar all the time and how only presenting sweets can come across to readers. It’s important to consider everything in moderation and after reading this, I’m at least glad that I bake or cook most of the food I eat and don’t buy a lot of pre-packaged food…
3. Speaking of the dangers of processed foods, THIS NEW BOOK will equip you with recipes to recreate some of your favorite childhood snacks (Twinkies, Cheetos, Tastykakes and Fruit Roll-Ups, anyone?). I met Casey in Philly yesterday and she’s just as sweet as the treats in her book!
4. THESE TIPS ON BEING A BETTER WRITER. They seem obvious and overly simple, but the reminder is always welcome to my distracted brain!
5. Speaking of reminders, I’ve been slammed over the head with the realization that somewhere along the way I’ve stunted my own creativity. Thank goodness for THESE 10 IDEAS.
6. THIS GROUP OF BLOGGERS. Our first swap was this month and my stomach is already in love.
8. LISTS THAT DON’T GO UP TO TEN.